Policy Brief No 1 is about GHG emission from fertilizer production and application in China, the key messages include:
* GHG emissions connected with agriculture (in the range 1382-1636 Mt CO2-equivalent) represent 19-22% of total GHG emissions from China.
* Manufacture and use of nitrogen (N) fertilizer is the source of 8% of China`s GHG emissions (a conservative estimate).
* There is widespread 30-60% overuse of nitrogen fertilizer on crops in China. This overuse accounts for about 10-15% of total GHG emissions from agriculture.
* If this N over-use were corrected total GHG emissions could be decreased by >2% and nitrous oxide emissions by 30% or more without compromising China`s food security.
* The above information can contribute to the formulation of a national strategy for low carbon agriculture
Improved Nutrient Management in Agriculture – A Neglected Opportunity for China’s Low Carbon Growth Path
China-UK Sustainable Agriculture Innovation Network